Saturday, July 28, 2007

Perspective

I had a conversation with Allie yesterday that I can't get out of my mind. She was over at a friend's house playing and came home teary and very upset. When I asked her what was wrong she sniffled a bit and then said "I decided to come home early because they weren't being nice". She has a tendency to overreact a little bit and to be quite emotional when she puts her mind to it. I was busy taking care of Landon and only barely paying attention when she started to tell me more. What she said stopped me in my tracks. She said that the brothers she was playing with were being unkind to each other. Then she went on to say: "It made me very sad to see them being so mean to each other. Maybe they have too many siblings (there are 8 in their family) to know how lucky they are to have each other. I had to wait so long for my brother that I would never treat him like that. I love Landon so much and I know how lucky I am to have him in my family. I would never want to be unkind to him." I was speechless and a little teary eyed myself. As I watch my children together, I witness everyday the unique bond and love that they share. I am so very grateful for the opportunity that I have been given to be their mother.

No comments: