Sunday, August 10, 2008

Be Careful What You Wish For...

Sunday I was released from my calling as Primary President. Just a week or so ago I told Eric that the combination of our 2 callings was getting to be too much for me (especially with Eric still in school 2 nights a week!) leaving far too little time left over for our family. It seemed as if one or the other of us was always headed off to a meeting, activity, interview, or camping trip. When I got word that the Bishop asked to meet with both of us I immediately knew what was coming and I wasn't as happy about it as I thought I would be when the time finally came. I was dreading that visit as much as I did the last trip in there when I was called to serve as Primary President--I think sometimes you just know. Eric tried to ease my frantic mind by telling me that "maybe the Bishop just wants to ask our opinion about...something". Right. He kept telling me that he didn't think that I was being released to which I eventually responded "that only leaves your calling to change then". That shut him up. He LOVES being the Scoutmaster and has no desire to ever be released.

It took a little while for all of this to sink in for me. I have wondered what I am going to do with the hours of time I will now have each week that used to be taken up by this busy calling. How will I like going to Relief Society after a 6 year hiatus? What about all my friends, old and young, who I have grown to love so much? What am I going to talk to Cindy and Lisa about every day? (Okay, I've got to admit I'm not really worried about this. But I am worried that life will get busy and I won't see or hear from them as much I hope.) I also want to publicly acknowledge all that Cindy, Lisa, Rachel, Amber, and Julianne have done to support and sustain me in this calling. Your friendship and encouragement through the years has meant more to me than I could ever put into words. Change is good, but it is hard. Here's to new adventures as well as the new learning and growing opportunities that lie ahead for me.

5 comments:

grandma b said...

What are you going to do with all your time? I don't know...maybe clean up spagetti! You only get realeased from callings when you get comfortable and like actually like them!

grandma b said...

Too many "likes" in that last sentence. I'm really don't talk like that! Sorry about that!

Boettchers said...

all I can say is GNO!!!

Lisa said...

Amen.

Katrina said...

Wow!! I loved being in the Primary Presidency. It was busy and I wasn't even the President! I am now in the Young Women's. I was so sad to leave the Primary. However, I know that I will love YW's as much and I did Primary. Enjoy your RS while it lasts. I am sure you will get another calling soon!! Those kids will miss you so much I am sure.