Sunday, May 4, 2008

Awake, Arise, and Come Unto Him

This was the theme for this year's BYU Women's Conference. I am so glad that I had the opportunity to go. It was a great experience to be taught, entertained, enriched, and enlightened. It is something that I hope to be able to do each year if my family circumstances allow me to be absent for a couple of days. I thought that I would share a couple of my experiences with you:

*My very first experience was not a good one. I was with my Mother-in-law, Karma, who has a handicapped parking pass thanks to her back surgery. We waited in a very long line to enter into what was designated as the handicapped parking lot. When we had only moved a couple of inches after 20 minutes of waiting I decided to jump out of the car and make sure that we were in the right place. I had seen a traffic officer that I thought I would be able to easily track down. I couldn't find him so I decided to go and ask some ladies that were just getting out of their car. They told me that despite the many empty spaces in this lot they were instructing people to drive down to the Stadium Parking lot and then take a shuttle to the Marriott Center--something that wasn't sitting well with any of the handicapped ladies thus the loooooong wait at the parking lot. I was satisfied with that because as long as they were willing to shuttle us right back here that was a good solution for our parking issue. So I headed back to where I had left Karma (surprisingly enough she hadn't moved at all). On my way some lady started calling out to me. She begged me to move one of the parking barricades for her. When I told her that I couldn't she explained to me that she was the organist for the opening session and that she had been waiting in line for 45 minutes and that she was already very late to check in. She continued to plead with me saying that she would inform the traffic officer of her urgent situation and the reason why she asked me to move the barricade. I stood there for a minute considering my options. I had no way to verify who she was but I felt really bad for her...so I did it. I moved one parking barricade. As soon as she went through I immediately closed the road off much to the annoyance of MANY people who tried to ram their way in before I could seal the entrance off. I even had to physically block one lady from pulling in before the barricade was back in place. She returned my favor by unleashing a torrent of bad words right at me. I apologized, quickly explained why I had moved the barricade for the previous vehicle, and then ran for my life as she continued to holler at me. When I got back in the car Karma said that she had witnessed the whole thing and that she was worried that I was going to be thrown into BYU jail. At that point I was seriously ready to pack up and head home. Thankfully I didn't because the rest of the experience was wonderful. Oh, and by the way, the lady who asked me to move the barricade was in fact the woman who was sitting at the organ through the first session.

*Every one of the classes I attended was very uplifting and inspiring. I don't feel like one single minute of my time was wasted.

*Visiting with other sisters from all over the country was a neat experience. It was fun to compare and contrast our lifestyles with each other.

*I realized that I haven't attended Relief Society for the last 7 years thanks to my callings in Young Women's and Primary. Being taught by other women on an adult level is something that I have missed. I LOVE serving in Primary, but it was a nice change of pace for me for a couple of days.

*It was so nice to spend some quality time with my Mother-in-law, whom I enjoy very much.

*Of the 7 classes I attended, 5 of them referenced a talk given by Elder Dallin H. Oaks entitled Good, Better, Best. I loved this talk when he gave it and it was a good reminder for me that the truths taught in this address have vast application in our lives.

*I came home with several practical ideas for how to strengthen and fortify my home and family.

*I got to have yummy ice cream from the creamery. That might have been worth the whole trip.

*The BEST experience in those two days for me was being able to attend the closing session where the Prophet spoke. His address was nice and well presented but just being there in the same room as he was is what touched my heart the most. It was so amazing to experience the reverence that immediately encompassed the building when the Prophet began to enter the Marriott Center. In that moment the Spirit was so strong and it was confirmed to me once again that this man is the Lord's prophet on the earth today.

Photobucket

5 comments:

Marci said...

Sounds amazing. I hope in the next year or two to start attending. Now that the kids are getting older I finally feel like making some time for something such as this, might actually be a reality.

grandma b said...

Glad you enjoyed the conference and what a wonderful person you were to help out another in need! Glad we don't have to visit you in the pokey! That's grandpa talk for jail.

Jennilee said...

Thank you so much for sharing that with us. I hope to be able to go in the near future myself. I am so glad that you had a great time. I would love to be in the same room as the prophet. It would be so amazing.

Poppy said...

Wonderful story. Sometimes we need to stop and smell the roses. In one hundred years a lot of things that we think matters - doesn't really matter. Enjoy what we have and what we can share. Thanks for the update. Good to see your family tonight. You have such a cute family. Enjoy the week.

ang said...

Love it Stacie
I am planning on going with you next year on April 30 and May 1, already in my yearly planner!