Wednesday, July 16, 2008

"Faith is like a little seed: If planted it will grow..."

Once upon a time Eric wanted to teach 3-year-old Allie a hands on FHE lesson on faith. He equated faith to a seed and taught Allie how if a seed is nourished and nurtured it will grow. I generously offered up a few visual aids that consisted of: some seeds, a picture of the sun, a watering can, and some fertile soil. Eric was not interested in such a standardized way of teaching this fundamental principle. No way! He was going to make this lesson fun and unique. So, instead of my well thought out props he utilized these:
Photobucket
And then a few days later we had this:
Photobucket
And, even better still, a few weeks later I got to overhear Allie telling her Primary teacher that "We have a faith. It grows hair." Unfortunately, things got worse when a few more weeks down the road Allie's story changed to: "We had a faith, it died." And that was it. The individuals who were given this tidbit of information from Allie got little else in the way of an explanation. Allie was scarred for years (and that is no exaggeration!) and has only recently truly grasped what faith is and how object lessons work. I'm not sure if Eric learned his lesson, he still defends his teaching tactics to this day. I, however, learned my lesson. All object lessons must have my approval before they are shared with the children. I love you Eric!

6 comments:

Katrina said...

That is so funny! I completely understand about the object lessons. I try and do some with my girls. Some work and some don't!!! Love the Chia!

Boettchers said...

Hysterical, I love that!

Marci said...

Let me take this moment to thank Eric for that...now Phil says when he doesn't shave its because he is "growing his faith" Thanks Eric.

Eric said...

I'm happy anytime I can help out my brotha’-from-anotha’-motha’ (you're welcome Phil). And it's true; I do still stand by my actions. Its true Allie was a little confused for a little while, but I doubt she will ever forget this lesson. In the long run my object lesson will pay out great dividends!

Jennilee said...

I heard this story a few ago and thought it was one of the funniest things I have heard in a long time. Thanks Eric for making me laugh so hard. I'm glad Allie understands now.

Poppy said...

Wow - you guys seem to have so much fun. Enjoyed the story. Let's hope that Allie keeps the faith.