Monday, March 10, 2008

It Seemed Like a Good Idea In the Beginning

Unfortunately, that's not how it turned out. The "it" refers to our family night activity. Making s'mores was a good idea that turned out very bad. Landon is growing 4 brand new teeth and was not in the mood to sit around the backyard fire pit. Mom & Landon abandoned the activity early on. A few minutes later Allie came running downstairs screaming at the top of her lungs about being in the "most pain in my entire life". Unfortunately, she managed to get a sliver in her finger. The way she was carrying on, I thought she might actually die or something. I retrieved my sliver removing tools (alcohol wipe, tweezers, safety pin, and fingernail clippers) and that's when she really started to scream. At that point Landon was totally overwhelmed by all the screaming so he joined his big sister. I quickly retrieved Eric to help. It's a good thing too because I was having a hard time keeping a straight face in front of Allie and her grim predictions of the final outcome. Thankfully Eric managed to reason with Allie and convince her that she would, in fact, live to see another day. In the end we abandoned the attempt to remove the sliver and instead covered it with some neosporin and a band-aid. We're all praying that it will dissolve and disappear on its own.

After wiping away all of the tears, Eric headed back outside to resume the s'more making duties. We were all served s'mores in the comfort of our house. Allie even managed a smile or two before bedtime.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

2 comments:

Marci said...

Poor Allie-- glad to know she is going to live another day. That girl is sure fun. Next time, throw the marshmellow in the microwave for 15 sec and save the pain. P.S. we ate at outside last night at our picnic table and I hade the same thought. Hunter and Jenica both came in crying cause they were too cold... can't hurry summer I guess.

Lisa said...

I think Lily may be Allie's long lost little sister. It gives me hope!